Carry1st is the leading publisher of social games and interactive content in Africa. We work with studios across the globe – from Addis Ababa to Sofia to New York City – to level up their games and scale in dynamic, frontier markets. In addition to our full-stack publishing service, we’ve built a proprietary payments and ecommerce experience which allows customers to pay for digital content, even when they don’t have a credit card.
As Game Designer you’ll be responsible for defining and guiding the creation of amazing user experiences for our players. You’ll work in close collaboration with our awesome Product, Creative, and Engineering teams, using your design skills, product mentality, and passion for mobile games to design new gameplay features at every stage of the process. From contributing design documentation, through facilitating implementation and content creation, to managing game data – you will be an integral part in ensuring the successful delivery of the feature.
- Participate in brain-storming, conception of ideas, and brief creation
- Write detailed focused design specifications that effectively communicate multi-disciplinary design goals and meet the player’s needs
- Help facilitate wireframes and use your creativity to specify art requirements and craft new features
- Create of all facets of game design including: feature specifications, user flows, previews, prototypes
- Collaborate with engineering to support feature implementation, helping to identify and resolve design challenges and edge-case
- Follow the most recent market trends and best practices to create the best possible designs for our roadmap features, and to bring new ideas to the table
What makes you a great candidate?
- 3+ years of Game Design experience in mobile and free-to-play games
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science or Game Design or related fields
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and ability to organize game design workflow from initial concept to final release and post-release support
- Strong analytical skills to identify game aspects that need improvements
- Must be proficient in Excel, and able to provide visual designs with mock-ups in an art program of your choice (i.e. Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketchup, etc.)
- Strong analytical abilities and able to synthesize game systems and mechanics to improve game features and systems
- Experience with multiple aspects of game design discipline: concept, game progression, interface, monetization, and retention
- Deep understanding of market trends and best practices
What will we offer you?
- The opportunity to lead on high stakes, industry changing products
- Almost unlimited room for career growth with support along the way
- The ability to work from anywhere in the world
- Equity ownership
Some additional perks you’ll get access to…
- Co-working excursions and retreats: Our teams are encouraged to work from a shared location and visit each other. Carry1st will cover travel expenses, accommodation, and provide you with a daily spending allowance
- Awesome equipment: To set our teammates up for success we make sure you’ve got everything you need to work effectively
- Remote working allowance: An allowance that you can put towards creating your own office space, whether it’s internet expenses, ad-hoc equipment, or using a co-working space
- Birthday leave: Our teammates enjoy a paid day off on their special day
- Learning and development: Access to a Professional Development Fund to enable teammates to attend courses, conferences and training events
- Social events: Fun and regular company events to relax and connect with teammates
Although we’ve specified a location that could work well for this role, it’s not essential to be based there. Carry1st is a remote first company – in fact, we currently have people in over 19 different countries. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. Join us!
Learn more about Carry1st…