Border Buddy was founded nearly a decade ago to simplify the Customs Brokerage process through online technology and customer service. We help individuals and small businesses import and export their goods to North America.
Do you enjoy working with a group of people who like to work hard and have fun while doing it? Then Border Buddy is for you.
We are a values-based organization and a dedicated group of professionals who value teamwork, learning and development, and innovation. We take a great deal of pride in developing exceptional relationships and in supporting our community and our environment.
Work by the Border Buddy Core Values
- Customer Obsession
- Create & Simplify
- Learn & Be Curious
- Own The Outcome
- Collaborative Team Player
- Attention To Detail & Quality
Border Buddy is seeking an Operations Manager for our USA Team.
This dedicated leader will partner with the Canadian Operations Manager to develop and maintain control of all business operations and will be an experienced and efficient leader with excellent people skills, and business acumen. This role has the potential of becoming a key member of the Border Buddy Leadership team within a year of joining the team.
Reporting to the President of Border Buddy, the US Operations Manager has the following main responsibilities:
People and Culture Focus:
- Attract, retain, and develop a high-performing team
- Lead, manage and hold direct reports accountable for achieving agreed-upon commitments
- Consistently demonstrates a passion for values alignment, focus, simplicity, and clarity across the organization
- Identify areas including opportunities to improve revenue, increase margin, reduce cost, and increase profitability throughout the US operations department all while improving efficiency.
- Develops comprehensive goals for performance and growth strategies
- Effectively resolve issues – must be comfortable with conflict, addressing issues, and solving problems in a practical and healthy manner
- Manage timeliness and control over production flow of shipment files handling and closing, including general directives for billing, overseas affiliates’ remittance and P/L’s, vendors’ invoices approving and month end closing processes within company’s prescribed deadlines
- Oversee daily US operations and makes adjustments as necessary, ensuring the department is consistently “rowing” together in the same direction
- Establish and maintain Key Performance Indicators that accurately reflect status and quality
- Responsible for resolving internal problems/issues in a diligent and business efficient manner in order to prevent service deficiencies and/or customers’ dissatisfaction.
- Responsible for resolving in a diligent and business efficient manner customer complaints (billing dispute and others) and implementing measures to prevent their frequency and recurrence.
- Improve on an ongoing basis internal systems and procedures in order to favour customer service, department internal efficiency and staff productivity.
- Responsible for promoting Border Buddy’s customer service philosophy among all personnel under his/her responsibility.
- Drive prioritization of highest value business opportunities.
- Cultivate and manage healthy relationships with strategic partners and vendors.
- Executes the business plan, achieving or exceeding established P&L objectives.
- Enforce company policies and compliance with standard operating procedures applicable to files within the US operations.
- Responsible for the management of all employee’s performance under his/her responsibility, including maintaining a proper working discipline that favours employee’s productivity and morale.
- Support management in the design/implementation of new initiatives to improve US operational infrastructure and sustainable processes needed to support and improve overall services, streamline costs and increase profit margins.
- Additional hours may be required from time to time to ensure that the business is supported.
In the first 30 days you will:
- Observe Level 10 meetings for US operations in anticipation of leading these weekly meetings.
- Shadow the Canadian Operations Manager to understand key quarterly and annual goals for this department.
- Read “What the Heck is EOS”.
- Set up one on one meetings with each department manager to create long-lasting relationships and to understand the needs of this group.
- Learn to navigate Border Buddy’s internal procedures and platforms
- Understand ITS NXGen (Customs Operating System)
- Ensure broker license is registered with CBP (Customs Border Protection)
In the first 60 days you will:
- Navigate more confidently within ITS NXGen COS.
- Understand BorderBuddy’s internal procedures and platforms
- Partner with Canadian Operations Manager to create a communication plan to engage employees on a weekly basis.
In the first 90 days you will:
- Begin leading Level 10 weekly meetings.
- Continue building relationships and rapport with the US Operations team.
- Be a strong, positive presence “on the floor” leading by example and mentoring staff.
- Own the scheduling of all staff with the intention to support Border Buddy’s “after hours” operations (weekday/weekend/holiday after hours)
- Update and deliver US assigned operations KPIs at the weekly huddle.
- Own the approval process for ADP for all US operations staff.
- Holds valid US Customs Broker License
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5+ years of demonstrated relevant management experience.
- Experience leading high-performance teams within the US Customs Brokerage Industry.
- A high tolerance for ambiguity and the ability to manage change with an action-oriented drive – must thrive in a dynamic environment.
- Passion for and demonstrated success understanding and fulfilling internal or external customer needs; problem-solver mindset.
- Strong business sense. You get the big picture of what’s important to the team and understand what the key questions are to ask and investigate. Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the team and understand what the key questions are to ask and investigate.
- Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the US team.
- Experience building high performing teams, including the ability to recognize and cultivate rising talent required.
- Adept at transitioning seamlessly from a strategic level vision to day-to-day tactical operations experience required.
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics required.
- A demonstrated execution mindset and a record of success holding people accountable required.
- Understanding of and ability to create healthy organizational culture required.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills required.
- Varied experiences and responsibilities in Operations, Finance, and Human Resources strongly preferred.
- Working conditions – this role is fully remote
- 8:00 – 4:30 pm Monday to Friday PST with weekends off.
We offer a competitive salary, benefits (health & dental), 401K, a tuition reimbursement program, professional training, and paid time off.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.