ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code search yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Why this job is exciting
We are looking for an experienced Brand Designer for our enablement org to help us refine and articulate the Sourcegraph brand as we work to make it so everyone can code. In this strategic position this Brand Designer will drive co-creating Sourcegraph’s brand platform, define how Sourcegraph’s brand identity is expressed across our product and marketing channels, and lead research to inform brand evolution and expansion. Sourcegraph also has strong values and personality that are ripe for integration with our brand.
Developers love our product and rely on it daily to ship and deploy better software. Our passionate users provide a constant stream of thoughtful feedback and love engaging with us to help them and their teams solve their toughest problems.
Within one month, you will…
- Study and learn about our story, business, suite of products, vision and team and gain an understanding about how your role fits into Sourcegraph’s broader organization
- Learn and understand our processes, inter-team communication, standard tools and systems.
- Begin building trusted relationships with peers and stakeholders
- Become an expert on our values and understanding who our audience is
- Be accountable and empowered to define this brand platform
- Contribute to the ongoing exploration and evolution of the Sourcegraph brand, our identity, what it stands for, and how we represent it visually
Within three months, you will…
- Initiate an effort to co-create an effective, refined, and sustainable brand platform to bring clarity to Sourcegraph’s brand identity
- Actively explore opportunities to connect and scale the brand together with the product design and marketing teams by defining Sourcegraph’s brand guidelines
- Develop actionable tutorials, toolkits, and guidelines to help internal teams and external partners correctly and consistently activate the brand identity
- Lead strategies for implementing and collecting design research, customer insights and market research to inform brand evolution and expansion and articulate design rationale
- Identify and drive implementation of a digital asset management system
Within six months, you will…
- Take ownership of and optimize our brand design tool stack, ensuring file compatibility and ease of transfer for distributed teams
- Ensure the development and execution of marketing communications is on-brand and in support of Sourcegraph’s business goals
- Provide education, training, and mentoring as-needed to internal teammates on brand design, brand consistency, and visual design best practices
- Have active involvement in strategic (the “why”), not just tactical (the “how”) realities of the design decisions you make.
Within one year, you will…
- Have established and socialized a clear, authentic strategic platform for Sourcegraph’s brand, from high-level brand strategy, brand identity, and brand expression. People are familiar with it and it’s been tested
- Have improved consistency across our sites (about, learn, blog, docs, etc) and marketing channels
- Have Defined a clear direction for how Sourcegraph’s brand identity is expressed across Sourcegraph’s product and marketing channels
You are a seasoned Brand Designer that has strong opinions on what defines good brand design, what makes a strong-yet-flexible design system, and knows what it takes to express a brand’s values and personality through design. You understand the needs of different audiences, can take risks with intention, and lean on experience and data to generate new solutions. You are strongly aligned with our values, inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code and you will help tell the world about who we are through thoughtfully crafted content and engaging experiences.
- Confidently prioritize, manage and multitask between different projects and deadlines
- Continually iterate on concepts in an effort to make the brand relevant and relatable to our audience
- Provide recommendations and an action plan on brand identity refinements and expansion opportunities
- Lead the development and evolution of our brand design system as we work towards stronger brand consistency
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure cohesion and consistency of brand touchpoints across the entire customer lifecycle (Demand Gen, Sales, Customer Support, Community, etc.)
- Excellent ability to advocate for the design view to others in the organization with professionalism, maturity, and a balanced, holistic view of any competing viewpoints
- Excellent ability to proactively identify and unblock knowledge sharing and communication challenges to unlock a scalable design organization
- Be an advocate for design; educating and enabling others to create on-brand experiences
- Facilitate iterative and inclusive design processes end-to-end within deadlines
- Experience working as a brand designer
- An eye for presentation design and strong storytelling skills
- Experience collaborating with and leading productive cross-functional teams towards a shared goal in a dynamic, rapid growth environment
- Systems thinking with an in-depth understanding of templates, layout, color, typography, and user behavior
- Experience following and building on existing brand systems and guidelines, in the context of both marketing and product
- Strong art direction and communication skills to effectively guide internal and external partners
- Positive attitude with a curious open mind that values collaboration and feedback
- Brand design experience with developer tools or for a developer audience
- Experience building and managing brands in the enterprise software space
- You’ve worked on large-scale, award-winning creative projects that propelled brands forward
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive to succeed in fast-paced, adaptive environments
Interview Process [~5.5 hours total interview]
Click here to read more information in our Handbook about the types of interviews we use at Sourcegraph.
- You Apply
- [30 min] Initial screen: We chat with you about Sourcegraph and to find out what you are looking for in your next role.
- [30 min] Hiring manager screen: We discuss your background & get to know you.
- [1 hr] Portfolio review: You share a case study detailing a specific project that is applicable and impactful from your portfolio (with special attention to visual design, accessibility and system thinking).
- Two of our Product Designers
- [1 hr] Resume deep dive: We go through your background in great detail with the hiring manager.
- [1 hr] Peer Interview
- [30 min] Values interview with someone from another Sourcegraph team (Marketing, Customer Support, Engineering, BizOps)
- [30 min] Leadership interview with Christina Forney
- We make you a job offer!
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.