About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity’s most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (crypto, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
About the Protocol Labs Network
Protocol Labs is building the next generation of the internet. We are an open-source Network that spans the research to development pipeline to create new protocols, tools, and services to radically improve the internet. Our products serve thousands of organizations and millions of people. Many teams in the Network are fully distributed and follow a common set of open source practices to grow and flourish together. This distributed, open-source philosophy is at the core of how we operate.
We are looking to hire a talented, driven, and experienced Chief of Staff to support our PL Corp Lead and team by partnering with leaders in the Legal, Finance, Crypto and People Operations functions as well as other areas of the company. This is a high-impact and high-growth role.
Responsibilities include leading and coordinating different projects across PL Corp Org, and collaborating with the leadership team members on strategic and tactical execution projects for the business. As Protocol Labs grows, the challenges and impact of this role will grow.
As Chief of Staff, you will:
- Manage and prioritize extensive task lists, handle critical communications, and maintain dynamic schedules. Attend Org’s meetings, follow up with key partners on critical aspects, and collaborate with the Org Lead in keeping the leadership team accountable for goals and main KPIs. You will partner with teams and drive the execution of initiatives and projects by collaborating with cross-functional teams to influence, implement, extend, manage, and evolve our operational processes and models.
- Support the organization in discovering gaps in objectives and priorities across teams and projects.
- Partner with the PL Corp leadership team to provide project management and operational support while contributing to projects that help drive business priorities and strengthen team collaboration and morale.
- Assist in developing and monitoring project plans, schedules, and outcomes, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring operational feasibility across the PL Corp.
- Help the PL Org Leaders execute against their agenda and problem solve to drive high-priority business projects from conception through successful execution, collaborating with cross-functional internal team members.
- Evaluate project results and incorporate best practices and key learnings for future improvements.
We are looking for an individual who shares our values, can get fired up about our mission, and is excited to help us tackle larger and greater things. Ideal candidates are problem solvers with an execution mindset, astute, creative, knowledgeable, thoughtful, empathetic, efficient, analytical, intellectually curious, rigorous, and friendly.
Candidates must have excellent communication skills and experience working and managing communications with many different groups. Candidates must also be exceptionally organized, with extensive experience identifying, recording, prioritizing, and accomplishing a wide variety of tasks. Great candidates will have expertise in automating processes, measuring performance, and making systems more efficient over time.
As a rapidly growing organization, you should expect your role to evolve during your time at Protocol Labs. You will have the opportunity to grow your role, skills, and knowledge while being a part of a close-knit, dynamic group of individuals that strive for excellence daily. We strive to support our team in their professional development.
You may be a fit for this role if you have…
- Project Management: demonstrated success leading complex projects and/or programs across teams or organizations.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher. MBA may be an advantage, but not required.
- GSD – “Get stuff done” attitude: Can solve any task that needs solving.
- Business minded: solid business acumen, critical thinking, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- The ability to adapt to rapidly changing schedules and willingness to take requests and answer communication throughout various time zones.
- Strong knowledge of Google Apps (Gmail, Docs, Spreadsheets, Presentations). Slack is a plus but not necessary.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills and ability to interact autonomously with internal and external partners.
- Sensitivity and understanding of confidential matters and ability to protect those accordingly.
- Excellent computer skills, and a self-starter in picking up new and complex systems.
- A demonstrated ability to grasp new concepts and software quickly.
- An ability to multitask and prioritize in a dynamic environment.
- An understanding of business priorities in a timely fashion.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Organization skills that allow you to follow up and make sure nothing falls through the cracks.
- Experience in a technical, start-up, or open source environment.
- Experience working remotely.
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs’ mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.