Aspire is the influencer marketing platform empowering ecommerce brands to build and cultivate influential communities of influencers, ambassadors, affiliates, customers, and more. Brands using Aspire can discover authentic partners, streamline relationships, scale their programs, and measure true business impact — regardless of where they are in their influencer marketing journey.
Aspire is trusted by Glossier, Dyson, Newell, Outer, Brooklinen, and over 400 additional customers. Investors include Hummer Winblad Venture Partners, Pear.vc, and more. For more information, visit www.aspire.io.
We’re growing across the board – and we’re looking for a Controller to join our distributed remote [department] team! With a strong focus on growth and personal development, Aspire is the perfect place to develop your skills in a fast-paced, forward-thinking environment.
We’re looking for a data-driven and highly motivated Controller to join our growing team. In this role, you will manage core financial processes, including corporate accounting, accounting operations, regulatory and financial reporting, external audits and compliance requirements. Partnering closely with leadership and department heads, you will also be responsible for developing critical control policies and procedures across the organization. As the Controller in a startup, you’re comfortable working in a hands-on environment where every day is different and no challenge is too big. You’ll utilize your previous experience in technical accounting and problem solving to further develop a best-in-class accounting function.
What you’ll be working on:
- Oversee all Controllership function responsibilities: monthly close, revenue accounting, order to cash, GL accounting reconciliations, financial statement preparation and analysis, payroll including variable compensation plans and compliance activities (federal/state/local tax compliance audits, insurance and benefit administration).
- Direct overall company financial accounting activities, including accuracy and daily productivity of accounts payable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, customer credits and collections.
- Manage an effective accounting team, including driving performance and coaching the team.
- Define, develop, and implement best in class processes, leveraging the capabilities of existing systems and support tools to drive quality and scale as the Company expands its product offerings.
- Be a key contributor when onboarding new products, understanding flow of funds and best practice implementation efforts.
- Support Finance with budgeting, forecasting, and cash flow analysis.
- Analyze and present complex financial information in simple terms, with conclusions and recommendations to leadership.
What we’re looking for:
- 10+ years business accounting experience required; preferably with at least 3 years in SaaS industry
- Big 4 Public Accounting experience and CPA designation or equivalent
- Advanced knowledge of, and experience with, accounting principles and concepts, including US GAAP and ability to research
- Skilled communicator with a leadership presence; able to influence and shape favorable business outcomes
- Thrives in a fast-paced, remote environment with creative methods to boost productivity and clear communication
- Extremely detail-oriented and delivers the best internal and external customer service with timely, accurate, and thorough responses
- Proactively manages and coaches a team to anticipate needs and structure for growth and scale
- Advanced analytical skills and the ability to measure performance and optimize processes according to data trends
- Demonstrates a continuous improvement mindset to financial processes and compliance environments
- Ability to deal with change and a passion for process improvements to drive speed to close and scalability while maintaining quality and integrity of financial reporting
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, G-suite and solid understanding of accounting software principles
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- BA/BS or higher in Business, Finance, Accounting or related discipline
- Prior experience in a startup environment or small business
- SaaS Experience
- Experience with Quickbooks, Ordway, Airbase or related billing and expense management software platforms
- Experience implementing an upgraded Accounting system (Netsuite or equivalent)
- Experience with Salesforce
Benefits and Perks
- Global Perks & Benefits
- Internet monthly stipend
- Personalized growth plans
- $2500 annual education credits
- Unlimited PTO (flexible vacation policy)
- $400 equipment/remote setup budget
- US Only
- * 401k Plan
- * Health, vision, dental Insurance
Our compensation philosophy: we use a market-based approach to compensation. This means we use a series of compensation tools to help us understand how companies value this role in the U.S. market based on function, level, geographic location, and positions benchmarked against similar-stage growth companies. To comply with local legislation and provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Multiple factors, including geographic location, candidate experience, and expertise, determine final offer amounts and may vary from the amounts listed above. We have competitive pay bands for all other countries based on market standards.
The salary for this role is between USD $150,000 – $240,000 OTE.
Aspire is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all. Please apply to this role if you feel you are a good fit, regardless of your race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other perceived limiting factor. We welcome applicants from all walks of life.