Why Write of Passage?
We’re looking for the brightest talent to join us in creating the best writing school in the world.
Write of Passage began in 2019 as an experiment: How do we teach writing for the Internet Age?
We’ve run ten online cohorts of our flagship course in three years. Nearly 2,000 students worldwide have learned a system for publishing quality ideas, connecting with like-minded people, and elevating their careers through writing on the Internet. Our graduates are using online writing to build audiences, launch businesses, and make an impact—living life on their terms!
Write of Passage is now considered the gold standard for community-driven, cohort-based, online courses. And, we’re growing. Our vision is to build a global platform for writing instruction in the 21st century while delivering the best educational experience in the world.
As we continue to evolve, expand, and build new products, we’re looking for someone to nurture the student experience from beginning to end.
This summer, we launched our first-ever one day writing workshops, Writing Sprints, to help students go from a potential idea to a published piece – all in one day.
Put simply, we’re seeking exceptional people to help us build exceptional programs.
If you want to pioneer 21st-century education, teaching tens of thousands of students how to 2x their potential by writing online—read on.
Director of Experience
How does “transforming the lives of students across the world” sound to you?
At Write of Passage, we’re leading the charge of cutting edge online learning experiences. And you’ll be right there, on the front lines. The student experience will be yours to own.
When it’s time to answer these questions (which is all the time!), you’ll be our quarterback:
- How do we continue to delight our students?
- How do we add value to the experience?
- How do we deliver mind-blowing online learning experiences that redefine remote expectations?
You’ll ensure both our students and mentor team have the highest quality experience imaginable – dare we say, unforgettable. You’ll be increasingly required to refresh, reimagine and redesign what we do to stay on the cutting edge. You’ll have an immense amount of creative license and freedom, and you’ll be empowered to do exceptional work. And as our creative quarterback, you’ll strictly play offense, never defense.
This is not formal education, nor is it corporate training. We design and deliver experiences. We’re not about ticking boxes, we’re about transforming lives.
We have high standards, and have the structure in place to exceed those standards. We cultivate a culture of feedback and continuous improvement, and we value quality over quantity.
This role is a foundational brick in the cathedral we’re building at Write of Passage. The question is: are you who we’re looking for?
What You’ll Be Doing
As our Director of Experience, you’ll be responsible for:
- Nurturing a highly engaging and impactful environment during our programmes: running exercises, creating writing prompts, setting up effective breakout room discussions, and tackling each day with infectious energy to bring out the best in students.
- Working hand-in-hand with our founder, David Perell, as well as other experts, ensuring quality and consistency of the customer experience.
- Managing our library of content
- Designing new content and presentation materials.
- Owning our new product area – Writing Sprints. As a custodian of the student experience, you will lead the ongoing iteration of this product through student surveys and your personal expertise.
- Helping level up the quality of our facilitator and editor training.
- Coming up with fresh and innovative approaches to student onboarding and offboarding.
- Working tirelessly to implement feedback and improve our products.
You’re creative and sparky, but measured and organized. Highly competent, but enthusiastic and curious. You have an eye for detail, and impressive aesthetic taste. You’re elbows-deep in high quality design, and learning science.
You not only have an uncanny knack for facilitation – you love facilitation. You’re warm, vibrant, and energetic. Leading a Zoom call packed with 300 strangers? *sips coffee.* No problem.
And, of course, you’re a writer. You believe writing online is a vehicle of transformation.
Your career journey thus far?
You’ve been a key contributor in delivering exceptional digital products. You’ve practiced customer experience design and/or learning design – ideally, not just in formal educational settings. You have experience at alternative education companies or startups. You have plenty of public speaking experience under your belt.
We understand no candidate is a unicorn. But, like we said – we’re building exceptional programs, and we’re seeking exceptional people to help us.
You’ll love this role if:
- You’re jazzed about disrupting traditional education.
- You’re frustrated at the poor quality of most online learning from schools, universities and corporate training providers.
- You know remote learning is the future and want to shape what that looks like.
- You thrive in creative, forward-thinking and high pressure environments.
- You have a vision for learning – and want to deliver on that vision.
- You’re excited about presenting in front of groups.
- You’re comfortable running Zoom calls and facilitating lively group discussions.
You’ll dislike this role if:
- You’re wedded to a traditional educational model and the formal policies that accompany it.
- You are only interested in teaching young people.
- You don’t believe wholeheartedly in for-profit education.
- You want a standard 9-5.
- You don’t take feedback well.
- You don’t like change.
- You’re over-indexed in specific learning approaches. In other words, you can’t see the forest from the trees.
- You hesitate to iterate on something you’ve put a lot of work into.
Students first: We do what we do for the students. We’re obsessed with feedback in all directions, and we’re okay doing some things that don’t scale.
Second to none: Excellence is non-negotiable. Quality wins—details matter. Our goal is to provide the best learning experience in the world.
Hearts on fire: Obsessions, welcome. Passion, enthusiasm, and deep convictions loosely held add texture to our people and culture. Bring it.
Writers always: Founded on the power of online writing, this will always be our foundation. We maintain a writing practice to stay connected with our students and ourselves.
Work With Us
We’re a group of whip-smart, talented believers who move quickly yet thoughtfully. We’re exuberant about our work and the obscure personal interests we pursue.
This isn’t your average corporate job. You’ll have loads of autonomy within a culture of feedback and collaboration. We leave our egos at the door and help one another thrive.
Our students and employees are top-caliber folks with lofty visions and influence. We’re privately owned, so we call the shots. And like the 1927 Yankees, we’re an all-star team.
We’re very ambitious, but that drive never compromises our loyalty to our students and one another. Write of Passage will always be a delightful place to work.
- Full-time, remote work
- Occasional travel for team retreats
- Flexible, asynchronous work anchored in connection and excellent company culture
- Very generous time off arrangements and benefits depending on agreed employment relationship
- Annual salary of $90,000-$110,000
We’re confident this will be some of the most meaningful and enjoyable work you do in your career. Please, join Us! —The Write of Passage Team
Hey, before you go, enjoy this (short!) video showing how much Write of Passage means to students.