Prisma is seeking an experienced Head of Product to lead our dynamic product team. This role is crucial to the ongoing success of our company as it involves strategizing, coordinating, and managing our software product lifecycle from concept to launch. The successful candidate will have a rich background in open source products, product development, and team management, particularly in a remote setting. If this type of role excites you, then read on.
At the heart of Prisma lies our ambition to revolutionize the data layer for modern applications. Does your pulse quicken at the thought of working with cutting-edge architectures and technologies? Are you stirred by the notion of delving into data-intensive and highly scalable software systems? If so, our exhilarating work environment, bustling with the vigor, challenges, and liberties that only a thriving startup can offer, will be the perfect breeding ground for your ingenuity. Find your true calling at Prisma. As examples of our recent product launches, take a look at Accelerate and Pulse. That is the kind of magic you will be creating.
Backed by an impressive lineup of investors like Amplify Partners, Kleiner Perkins, and Altimeter Capital, we are a tight-knit, distributed team committed to democratizing the sophisticated data infrastructure developed by tech giants. Our tenacity is bearing fruit with Prisma’s growing adoption among some of the most exciting and successful companies in the tech scene. We’re one of the top 3 ORM’s within the Node ecosystem and have received more than 30K stars from users on Github. Take a leap into a rewarding future by shaping the data landscapes of tomorrow with us at Prisma.
- We require you to answer three questions as part of your application for this position. So your first responsibility is to read this job post in its entirety and get those answers to us with your cover letter 🙂
- Oversee the development, implementation, and management of product strategies for the company’s software products. This includes both our open source and our commercial products. The two product development categories already go hand-in-hand, you will ensure that they remain tightly aligned.
- Lead a team of product managers to ensure the execution of product strategies and meet the organization’s short and long-term goals.
- Drive the conception, development, and launch of new software products based on market research, industry trends, and customer feedback.
- Foster a work culture that encourages innovation, creativity, and continuous improvement.
- Leverage open source solutions to accelerate product development and create differentiated value.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the engineering, marketing, sales, and customer service teams to deliver on product objectives.
- Manage and prioritize product roadmaps, ensuring that the products delivered are high-quality and fulfill customer needs.
- Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders and third-party partners.
- Facilitate team meetings and communicate product updates and strategic decisions to the team and broader organization.
- Oversee performance metrics and adjust strategies as necessary to improve product success.
- As a young startup, the potential to affect our direction forward is significant, and it is our hope that you will bring practices and ideas that will challenge how we do things and develop the role further over time.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience building products and leading product development teams.
- You have a demonstrated track record of delivering within stated budgets.
- Extensive experience with the development and management of open source products and products that are aimed towards improving the productivity and efficiency of software developers.
- Demonstrated success in managing and launching a product from scratch.
- Experience managing a team of product managers, with an emphasis on remote management.
- Well versed in database related technologies, the concept of serverless compute, and understand what “infrastructure from code” could mean for the future of software development.
- Prior experience working on SaaS, PaaS, or IaaS products.
- Experience working out pricing structures and launching commercial products.
- Deep understanding of the software product development process, including agile methodologies.
- Excellent leadership, strategic thinking, and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills with a data-driven approach to decision making.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business, or a related field; an MBA or equivalent advanced degree is preferred.
- You are located in the UTC-4 to UTC+2 time zones. Unfortunately, we cannot entertain candidates who are outside of these time zones due to the criticality of the role and the interdependent nature of required collaboration with other internal teams and departments.
What is it like to work at Prisma?
You’re likely to be a great fit for the team if you …
- … have an ownership mindset. As part of a small team, you’ll have an outsize impact on decisions and the way things are executed.
- … stay nimble. As a growing startup, the team and strategy evolves quickly. Be ready to re-calibrate often and stay flexible.
- … be kind and collaborative. Come in ready to share your ideas and listen to feedback.
We are a remote-first organization with an office based in Berlin, Germany. We have team members that are based in the US, Asia and South Africa! Whether you would like to work remotely, or from the office in Berlin is up to you! We are open to discussing relocation assistance if you would like to join us in Berlin.
What’s in it for you?
- Joining an early-stage startup anchored in both Europe and Silicon Valley where you will be able to make a real impact on a global scale.
- Opportunity to work with a team of world-class engineering, product, and design experts.
- Be part of a thriving startup funded by Silicon Valley’s top tier investors Kleiner Perkins, Amplify Partners and Altimeter Capital.
- We provide a competitive base salary in line with industry standards for similar positions.
- As an early-stage startup we also provide competitive stock-option grants with a 10 year exercise window.
- 24 days paid vacation per year.
- 4 mental health days per year.
- Fully paid parental leave up to 20 weeks.
- Generous tech budget to make sure you have all the hardware that you need.
- Access to your local co-working space if you prefer to work from an external location to your home.
- [US] Health, Dental, Vision + 401k Matching
What is the hiring process like?
Our recruitment process for this role follows the structure below:
- Introductory call with our COO
- Interviews with senior team members from the product and engineering teams. We may opt for a panel-style interview process whereby you get to speak with several team members in one sitting.
- A take home challenge may be requested
- If requested, a debrief of the take home challenge with a cross-functional panel.
- Final interview with our CEO.
If you are interested, please apply by sending us your Resume/CV and any other links or documentation that you think might be relevant. In addition, please include responses to the following questions in your cover letter. Applications without this required information will be automatically disqualified:
- Tell us about a time when you managed the development of an open-source software product or component. How did you navigate the challenges and incorporate community feedback?
- Describe a product you’ve led from concept to launch. What were your key responsibilities during each stage of the product life cycle, and how did you manage the product team?
- In your experience managing remote teams, what strategies have you used to maintain communication, productivity, and team morale? Can you give a specific example of when this was particularly successful or on the contrary, a failure (one that you learned from)?
We are looking forward to hearing from you and wish you all the best with your application.
Prisma is an equal opportunity employer. We value and celebrate diversity and do not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to creating a fair and inclusive workplace where all individuals have the opportunity to contribute their skills and talents. Applicants from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.