JOB TITLE: Interior Designer
REPORTS TO: Managing Director
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
JOB TYPE: Full time
LOCATION: Des Moines, IA
**This is a remote position. However, applicants must live in the geographical area listed on the job posting.**
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Meteor Education Interior Designer supports the sales effort by applying design expertise in the creation of furniture layouts, incorporating the Meteor Design Principles to achieve environments that are conducive to high impact learning for K-12 clients. This is guided by our Meteor Core Process that spans the Discovery, Create, Plan, Execute and Sustain phases. The Interior Designer interfaces with a regional Studio team which includes a Managing Director, Sales, Instructional Design (educational specialist), Project Coordination (quoting) and Project Management throughout the client journey.
Attend project programming meetings in person or on Zoom with salesperson, educational specialist and client to determine scope of the project.
Collaborate with salesperson and educational specialist to strategize on how to best address the client’s needs.
Develop conceptual design solutions that reflect the information gathered during the intake meeting.
Create and present visual presentations including 2D drawings, 3D renderings, and furniture specifications based on standard deliverables using Meteor software platforms.
Specify furniture, including finishes, and custom items within our design and quoting software using multiple manufacturers.
Designer must work within budget constraints, timelines, recommending product solutions as discussed with salesperson and client.
With Studio team, perform specification review and develop installation documents for each project.
Must show excellent communication skills when presenting to customers and team members.
Willingness to elevate product knowledge and application by researching K-12 and higher education environment design, product options including 100+ manufacturers, and industry trends.
Must adhere to the Meteor Core Process as well as Design Drawing and Process standards.
Apply knowledge of ADA, Life Safety, Fire and Electrical codes.
Attend in-person Studio activities – scheduled meetings and training. Build a strong relationship with Studio team members.
Must be willing to travel to client meetings, company events, onboarding in Gainesville, Florida, and functional training.
- 3-5 years’ + experience, preferably in the same or similar industry.
- Bachelor’s or Associate degree in Interior Design required.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Revit or CET, and Microsoft Suite
- Experience in generating drawings and specifying furniture.
- Some experience working with Architects and trades helpful.
- Experience in presenting to Educational and Architectural clients.
- Exceptional ethical and professional standards. Full cultural alignment with the values of the company.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Understanding design principles.
- Live in geographical area of job posting.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Basic Life AD&D (100% employer paid)
- Short Term Disability (100% employer paid)
- Long Term Disability (Not employer paid)
- 401(k) + matching
- Supplemental Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave (6 weeks)
- 2 Volunteer Days
- 9 Company Paid Holidays
- Employee advocates serving to sustain employee wellness in the workplace