The Lead Product Owner (LPO) is a critical role in the experience design and development process, charged with establishing and managing the holistic Product Experience Backlog across multiple touchpoints. You’ll report to and work closely with the VP of Experience Design to understand and define our vision for fitness experiences, formulate winning strategies, and articulate them across Peloton business units and global Go-To-Market owners. You will collaborate with leaders in Product Management, Design, and Development to turn strategy into industry leading experiences.
As a LPO, you will work closely with Product Management to understand audience needs and market requirements for both our B2B customers and members. By understanding what they value, you’ll understand what makes our experiences viable in the market and be able to establish and champion a prioritized experience backlog for releases. You’ll collaborate with the design team as they explore and translate requirements into solutions across our fitness products, websites, tools, and mobile apps so that you can understand how to break the user experience into executable stories that preserve value and design intent. You’ll also engage directly with software developers to bridge the gap between requirements and delivery to make sure our solutions are both feasible and efficiently executed on time.
Tactically, that means you’ll manage product owners that embed in the design and development teams, ensure that user stories are complete and available per schedule, participate in pre-grooming and grooming of stories, manage dependencies, track progress, and shepherd the day-to-day evolution of the experience as it winds through the development process.
- Drive strategy and direction of products, applications and services
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders to understand business needs
- Advocate for the target audience during development to ensure the final product meets their needs
- Work with Product Management to identify and articulate business requirements
- Collaborate with other stakeholders to identify business priorities and define releases
- Work with designers to identify the user experience of feature areas
- Define, prioritize, manage, and coordinate the Experience Release Backlogs
- Ensure clear definition, communication and adherence to use cases and acceptance criteria
- Lead story pre-grooming and grooming activities
- Manage the flow of work into teams during development to deliver features on time
- Collaborate with project managers to track and report progress against the backlog and release schedule to broader audiences
- Drive product quality standards
- Participate in a Design Thinking NPI process and utilize a user-centric approach that involves brainstorming and exploring alternative solutions for enabling features
- Coordinate with the design team to establish user centric solutions
- Translate business and user needs into actionable work items (User Stories) for a team of developers or external vendors.
- Collaborate with the design team to craft acceptance criteria for stories and formally accept upon development completion
- Maintain the flow of groomed stories into the backlog
- Develop and mentor the team of existing Product Owners to continuously refine a synchronized vision for each product
- Partner with colleagues on the XDG Leadership Team to establish policies and coordinate activities
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, CS preferred, or an equivalent combination of work and academic experience
- Scrum/Kanban familiarity or related experience in software development
- 10+ years of software development experience as Product Owner, Program Manager, or Product Manager
- 5+ years of experience with product owner or program management aspects of Web applications and services, preferably cloud-based
- 3+ years managing teams
- Strong problem solving skills with a strong bias for action, quality, and engineering excellence.
- Strong communication skills: verbal and written.
- Demonstrated ability to break down requirements into User Stories.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally.
- Expertise with Agile development methodologies.
- Strong team player, good work ethics, commitment to quality and team work, and comfortable in a fast paced environment. Leads by example.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.