Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies UpCurve, Inc. and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
Manager, Content Operations and Business Development
The USA TODAY Sports Media Group (“SMG”) encompasses sports initiatives across USA TODAY, Gannett’s 200+ community newspaper properties, 70 vertical sports sites and affiliate partner properties, reaching an audience of more than 50 million consumers each month. Our focus is on reaching the national, local and passionate sports fan.
- The Sports Media Group Manager, Content Operations and Business Development will be responsible for video content distribution, partnership management, business development support and analysis for SMG.
- You will ensure distribution of video programming across SMG sites to meet monthly traffic goals and assist with generating ad revenue associated with video programming.
- You will manage relationships with video partners, programmatic buyers and indirect revenue partners.
- You will also seek and evaluate new business partnerships in areas of emerging content and revenue opportunities.
- You will work closely with internal SMG operations teams and assist with monitoring overall traffic and revenue goals and adapt processes to help SMG meet and exceed these goals.
- We are seeking a motivated self-starter with a digital programming and or business development background, who is passionate about digital content and sports.
This is a remote position.
- Work closely with video partners to manage performance of video content and associated ad revenue across multiple sites.
- Collaborate with editors across Sports Media Group, as well as USA TODAY Network, to secure video coverage that complements current editorial planning. Train writers and editors in utilizing video platforms.
- Secure revenue from and work closely with SSPs, DSPs and other sources of advertiser demand to maximize yield.
- Create and maintain excel/PowerPoint documents to track revenue and other business development activities.
- Strategize opportunities for video growth with a strong eye toward monetization.
- Stay abreast of analytic trends for the network, including video views, pre-roll avails, fill rate and CPMs.
- Explore new business development and indirect ad sales opportunities related to display, video, social, etc.
- Work with ad ops and publisher development team to ensure proper campaign delivery.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong understanding of streaming video, video platforms, digital traffic metrics, and digital monetization.
- Understanding of the changing media landscape and ability to adapt strategies that address continually changing market and consumer needs and desires.
- Sales, relationship management and negotiating skills preferred.
- Programmatic/ad-tech experience including DSP’s, ATD’s, SSP’s, DMP’s a plus.
- Excellent at building relationships with customers and partners.
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint) including analytical experience.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one page that demonstrates clean copy and previous work experience.
2. A cover letter that that explains why you are interested in this role and how your previous experience makes you a strong candidate.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
The annualized base salary for this role will range between $45,000 and $105,800. Variable compensation is not reflected in these figures and based on the role, may be applicable. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, location, and union representation, if applicable.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc.