Are you passionate about science, and changing the way the scholarly world thinks about research impact? We’re looking for an enthusiastic Product Manager to lead the team responsible for our customer-facing products at Altmetric. This is a collaborative team with a varied remit, covering both the onboarding and implementation for new customers, and the overall experience for the Altmetric Explorer. As such, this is a fantastic opportunity for a PM who is looking for increased responsibility and complex problems to solve. Reporting to our Director of Product, you will be responsible for:
- Owning and prioritising the backlog for the team responsible for our customer-facing platforms
- Identifying opportunities for improvement and optimisation within the product, and creating business cases for the work
- Understanding our customers’ needs and requirements, and translating those into software development priorities and process improvements.
- Collaborating with the Director of Product to ensure the team priorities reflect the company strategy and our company objectives and key results (OKRs)
- Working closely with the UX Designer/Researcher to run Discovery on new product ideas, and identifying metrics to ensure that we are measuring the success of new features and services
- Liaising with the Support, Engagement and Sales teams to identify areas where we can create internal tooling to improve the onboarding experience for customers as well as reducing post-implementation support tickets
Product Management is a varied role, so we like to keep the list of essential requirements as short as possible. However, previous experience in Scholarly tech, or as a Product Manager on B2B products will be important to succeed in this role.
Here’s what to expect when joining our team
In your first few weeks you will:
- Get to know both your own Product Development team, and the Altmetric Product team
- Begin to gain an understanding of our products and services
- Meet with people from across the business to build a deeper understanding of how Altmetric team work with one another
- Start leading standups for your team with support from the Director of Product
After three months you will have:
- Been involved in at least one project kick-off with your team
- Taken part in discovery interviews with our UX Designer/Researcher
- Communicated progress to the company in one of our internal demos
- Lead the full process of at least one small feature or project, resulting in a measurable improvement for our customers
- Attended at least one Product Strategy meeting, communicating your team priorities to the Senior Leadership Team for discussion
After six months you will have:
- Continuously measured the performance of a new feature, providing valuable feedback for our next steps
- Done external advocacy work either in the form of a blog post, webinar or attendance at an industry event (should industry events exist at that point!)
- Started looking further into the future, working closely with the Director of Product to create a picture of your team’s work for the next 6-12 months
Life at Altmetric
Our offices are currently based in The Smithson building, in Clerkenwell. As a portfolio company of Digital Science, we share our office with other scientific start-ups including figshare, Overleaf & Symplectic. Most of our developers and product managers work remotely around the UK and Europe, but the office is always welcoming for when you’d like it. (Outside of these unusual times, of course.)
As a company, work-life balance is very important to us: we have flexible working hours and our teams have been setup to work well remotely for a number of years now – we’re quite good at it.
We offer a competitive market rate salary and all members of the team are provided with a MacBook Pro (we are happy to discuss your requirements before you join) and have an annual training & conference budget including international travel. We are users of open source software and we support this in any way we can.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer, which has given us a wide diversity of backgrounds throughout the team. This is something that Roisi (our Director of Product) and Kathy (our CEO) have always strived for and we’re certainly pleased with the progress so far.
Altmetric is a UK-based data company dedicated to producing alternative metrics for research outputs ranging from peer-reviewed journal articles to datasets and software. With a global customer base spanning academic institutions, publishers, government agencies, non-profits, research institutes, and corporations, Altmetric is the gold standard in altmetrics data.