About the job
As a Technical Product Manager on the Homes team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on a greenfield product within Hopper’s $4B+ travel ecosystem. Our goal is to guarantee that customers will get the best selection of vacation rentals when booking through Hopper, while also ensuring a best-in-class user experience.
As a Technical Product Manager for Homes, you will be spearheading the building of a greenfield best-in-class API to connect with our vacation rental partners. You will need to dive deep into the data and develop an understanding of the competitive travel landscape as the basis for new features. On any given day — whether you’re surveying our supply and connectivity partners to better understand their needs, partnering with engineering to scope a feature down to the MVP, or combing through data for new insights — your contribution will be critical to Hopper Homes current and future success.
- Lead, create, and launch the Hopper Homes API that we will use to connect with our vacation rental providers
- Own a product lane within Homes — this role is specific for Supply & Connectivity, from inception through implementation
- Gather requirements, define KPIs, partner with engineers to create a best-in-class API, and establish delivery timelines and prioritization with engineering
- Determine path to launch MVPs, outline hypotheses to validate the business case, get user data and feedback faster, limiting cost and downside risk before making larger time and resource investments
- Own the product outcomes and track the impact to North Star Objectives for the Supply & Connectivity team and Homes team at large
- Understand and explain complex technical issues, discern impact, and communicate them to maximize clarity and drive resolution
- Develop and nurture effective relationships with both internal and external partners
- Use good judgment to make appropriate trade-offs when scoping and specifying solutions, ensuring that anything we build adds value to the business and continues to delight our users
- 5+ years of experience in a Product Management role, with strong experience working in a very technical product environment
- Experience building large scale APIs from the ground up from inception to implementation
- Technical depth to effectively lead conversations with engineers and data scientists
- A track record of building innovative solutions to real-world user problems, aligned with the business needs of a rapidly scaling organization
- Obsessive focus on the details in planning, evaluating, and building products from start to finish while leading and driving cadence with a high-performance team
- A bias for action and launching “scrappy” solutions quickly to get feedback from real users as early as possible
- Highly proficient analytics skills and SQL knowledge to self-serve data questions and draw accurate conclusions to adjust strategy accordingly
- Exceptional ability to grasp, manage, and articulate complex systems and data structures — must have experience building products that rely on technically complex APIs
- Excellent communication skills to construct compelling business cases both in-person and in-writing
- Passion for Hopper’s mission to build the most customer centric travel marketplace on Earth
- No ego. Strong focus on doing what is right for the customer and the company
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k (US) or Retirement Savings Plan (Canada)
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
– Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B The company’s valuation has more than tripled since early 2020.
– The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
– According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
– Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT.
– The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually
– Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
– Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com, and MakeMyTrip.
– The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
All this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!