Well, hello! We’re Help Scout.
We make support software that empowers more than 12,000 businesses to support their customers in the most human, helpful way. We’re a remote company with 145+ employees in over 80 cities around the world, and we’ve been remote-first from day one. We believe that when teams represent different backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, magic happens. The result is better products and a culture that enables everyone to bring their authentic selves to work.
We’re looking for an SEO Strategist to own SEO for the entire company. SEO is a key channel for our brand, and we’ve put a lot of effort into it over the years. This isn’t a job where you have to come in and implement SEO from scratch. You’ll manage a site that already has a solid technical foundation and a ton of optimized, high-ranking content. Your job will be to maintain what’s already really strong, building on that foundation to help us continue to grow this channel.
For this position, we’re looking for someone with a background focused in on-page SEO. While you will assign technical SEO tasks to our team of front-end engineers and manage consultants who help with off-page SEO, the bulk of your time will be spent on content optimization.
About The Role
The SEO Strategist role is a member of our Growth Marketing team, so in this role, you will ultimately be accountable for increasing revenue from organic search. While you’ll work closely with the Content team and will help optimize all of the content we publish, you’ll primarily focus on finding ways to drive qualified visitors to the site and encourage those visitors to request a demo or start a free trial of our product.
Please note that at this time, we are only able to hire in the following locations: United States, Canada, Australia, Finland, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, United Kingdom, Denmark, Germany, Norway.
This is a full-time, remote position.
Some of the work you may find yourself doing on a day-to-day basis includes
- Conducting keyword research to identify topics we should cover on the Help Scout Blog. This includes both top-of-funnel, learn-intent topics and lower-funnel, purchase-intent topics.
- Conducting search intent research for the keywords you prioritize and using that information to create detailed SEO briefs and outlines for our team of freelance and full-time writers.
- Monitoring rankings for the keywords we’re targeting so you can quickly make/request updates to important posts that are dropping in the rankings.
- Using tools like Screaming Frog, Google Search Console, and PageSpeed Insights to monitor the technical health of the site(Core Web Vitals, AMP, 404s, redirects, etc.), working with our front-end engineers to resolve any issues you find.
- Writing titles and meta descriptions for new marketing site pages and reviewing those pages to make sure they’re set up properly for SEO before they’re published.
- Managing the relationship with our off-page SEO consultant, prioritizing pages to focus on and making updates to posts to help with off-page initiatives.
- Making minor edits and updates to existing content to improve rankings, gain featured snippets and other SERP features, improve our internal linking strategy.
- Monitoring your key metrics(organic traffic, rankings, trials, demo requests, and — above all — revenue) and reporting on those metrics.
- You have at least three years of experience in a role focused on on-page SEO.
- You understand the basics of things like Core Web Vitals, HTTP response codes(301, 302, 404, etc.), and canonical URLs so you can provide guidance to our front-end engineers on technical SEO issues.
- You are highly collaborative and adept at working with multiple teams and individuals to get your work done. Very little of the work to be done in this role can be accomplished in a silo.
- You enjoy learning in your field — following SEO news and case studies — and know when a new Google change is something that needs to be addressed immediately and when it’s better to hold off on changes and see how things shake out before acting.
- We have an internal transparent salary matrix for each team. For this role, our bands are between $97,000 to $109,000 USD. Read more about how we approach compensation here!
Who You’ll Work With
- Jessica Greene, Director of Growth Marketing, will be your coach.
- You’ll also work closely with other members of the Growth Marketing team, the Content team (led by Kristen Bryant), the Brand Design team (led by Janie de Guzman), and the Product Marketing team (led by Alison Charles).
Competitive salary – Our salary formula is public to all employees (but doesn’t divulge your specific salary) and we update it at least once per year. Your salary is the same no matter where you live. Our goal is to pay at or above the market rate of a US-based tech hub like Boston or Seattle.
Health and dental insurance – We cover you and your family’s health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we’ll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you’re based outside the US, we’ll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
Long-term/short-term disability insurance & life insurance – we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST disability insurance and base life insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
Flexible vacation – Take time off when you need it! We recommend 3-4 weeks in addition to public holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
Sabbatical – After you’ve been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation (in addition to regular vacation) and $2,500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or anything else during your time off. Read about what our CEO did.
Paid parental leave, including adoption – 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents.
401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
Personal Development stipend – Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
Bonuses – everyone is eligible to receive a quarterly bonus up to 8% based on shared company revenue goals.
Set you up for success — we’ll get every new teammate a Mac laptop or equivalent of their choice, and provide a $1500 stipend so you can feel ready to work from home. We also cover up to $350 USD per month if you’d like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
Complete transparency – Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 120 people in 80+ cities around the world, all with a passion for helping others. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences. Help Scout launched in 2011 and today we have more than 12,000 paying customers in 140+ countries.
Why Help Scout?
We’re remote. It doesn’t matter if you’ve worked remotely before — we’ve been doing it for nearly a decade and are helping to write the playbook — we’re happy to show you the ropes. Most folks that get a taste of working in a “remote first” company have a hard time going back to the old way of doing things.
We’re passionate about diversity and inclusion. The data is abundantly clear about diverse teams being more successful, and we’re dedicated to setting the team up for success. Today our leadership team is 62% women, and that’s just the start. Here’s our DEI Dashboard where you can see all of our team demographic data and read about our commitment to this work.
We’re committed to SMBs for the long term. Help Scout is focused entirely on serving small and midsize businesses, typically up to 500 employees, because those companies view customer service differently. It’s not a cost to be optimized, it’s their most effective marketing tool and a key differentiator from the competition. We built Help Scout for companies that truly value being customer-centric (like us) and want a product that shares their values.
We’re leaving the world better than we found it. Did you know Help Scout is a certified B Corporation, with a mission to give away at least 1% of our product through Help Scout for Good? Our company exists not just to help ourselves, but to invest in our team, our customers, our community, and our environment.
Our Commitment To You
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We have read the studies and understand that diverse teams build better products, bring more perspective to the table, contribute to a company’s financial success and help foster a more inclusive environment for all employees, but the bottom line is that it’s the right thing to do.