About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity’s most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (web3, cryptography, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
About the Role
As the Tax Ops Lead, you will have overall responsibility for federal, state & local and international tax compliance (including PE strategy and execution) in Asia and Europe in particular and potentially other jurisdictions as the company’s operations and legal entity structure continue to scale, manage any tax audits, and support employment tax matters. As a key member of the Finance team, you will be expected to take a hands-on role in the company’s tax matters and broader, strategic endeavors – including cross-functionally within the company.
The person in this role will report to the Global Head of Tax, and interact with senior management and colleagues in Accounting, FP&A, Legal and HR to identify opportunities to manage the company’s effective tax rate, sharing of best practices, and standardization of processes and reporting.
Other responsibilities include:
- Managing the preparation of the R&D tax credit study
- Managing the transfer pricing policy and process
- Assisting with tax planning strategies – including tax credit and deduction opportunities, e.g., FDII and bonus depreciation
- Leading special projects within the broader PL Corporate and Finance Team and advising management regarding the tax impact of potential commercial or corp development style transactions
- Ensuring the company’s compliance with all accounting policies
- Managing preparation of international, federal and state tax returns, quarterly estimates and annual extensions
- Managing preparation of early stage GST and VAT returns
- Assisting with calculation and review of the company’s tax provision
- Supporting corporate structuring projects to support global growth
- Interface with external advisors
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or related field, CPA licensure
- 10+ years of experience in tax, ideally with a mix of Big 4/National firm and Private Industry at a high growth tech startup
- Experience driving cross-functional processes and projects with evidence of successful results
- Self-starting and creative problem solving skills
- Strong operational and systems acumen
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Advanced education, such as JD or Master’s in Taxation
- Strong understanding of Transfer-Pricing
- Experience with tax regarding digital assets
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs’ mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
The base salary for this position currently ranges from $188,000 to $203,000, plus cryptocurrency, equity, and opportunities for upside through performance rewards in cryptocurrency and equity. The base pay is based on a number of factors and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, experience, skills, abilities, training, and education. We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family. If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.