Are you passionate about science, and changing the way the scholarly world thinks about research impact? At Altmetric we are in the midst of an exciting period of change and growth, and we have an opening for an experienced UX professional to join our Product team.
This person will work closely with our Product Managers, Director of Product and our Development teams to help support the creation of features and improvements that meet the needs of our customers, whilst also ensuring that the Voice of the Customer is well represented in prioritisation discussions. Reporting to the Director of Product, you will be responsible for:
- Leading on areas where user experience expertise is needed to contribute to the success of the project
- Generating wireframes and high fidelity prototypes to help guide the development of new features and improvements
- Becoming an expert in our customer context, working together with the Product Managers and Tech Leads to uphold the Voice of the Customer in both tactical and strategic discussions
- Helping discover opportunities and pain points using mixed methods research and ensure those insights are clearly communicated to internal stakeholders
- Using customer and user product insights, both qualitative and quantitative, to assist Product Managers and Tech Leads in prioritisation
- Working with our newly created Altmetric Data Insights team to evolve bespoke, consultative Data Science projects into new product offerings for emerging customer segments.
- Partnering with the Senior Leadership Team and Product team to develop and implement the right systems, processes and tools to ensure that our product roadmap and decisions are aligned with customer, commercial and team needs and are effectively communicated to all stakeholder groups
This is a varied role with the opportunity to own the full UX lifecycle, whilst also instilling best practice at the team level and contributing to Product strategy.
Rather than providing a discreet list of requirements, the Product team at Altmetric prefer to give candidates an idea of how the role will evolve over time. We want to hear from anyone who looks at this timeline and sees themselves in the work! Here’s what to expect when joining our team
In your first few weeks you will:
- Get to know the Product team, and start attending standups to build an understanding of current processes
- Begin to gain an understanding of our products and services
- Meet with people from across the business to build a deeper understanding of how Altmetric team work with one another
- Build up familiarity with our qualitative and quantitative understanding of our customers, and begin to take ownership of our UX research repository
After three months you will have:
- Led qualitative research for a new or evolving problem space
- Be directly involved in the creation of new functionality, creating wireframes and user flows and pairing with developers to ensure good UX practices are upheld
- Continued to deepen your understanding of our customer context, and start to use that to identify emerging customer needs and pain points
- Attended at least one Product Strategy meeting, acting as a key customer representative and helping to communicate the user value of our immediate priorities
After six months you will have:
- Continuously measured the performance of a new feature, and gathered feedback from users, providing valuable data for future prioritisation
- Done external advocacy work either in the form of a blog post, webinar or attendance at an industry event (should industry events exist at that point!)
- Started looking further into the future, working closely with the Director of Product to ensure the Voice of the Customer is well represented within our 6-12 month priorities
- Played a key role in one or more larger projects with deeper UX involvement, resulting in a measurable improvement to one of our key metrics
Life at Altmetric
Our offices are currently based in The Smithson building, in Clerkenwell. As a portfolio company of Digital Science, we share our office with other scientific start-ups including figshare, Overleaf & Symplectic. Most of our developers and product managers work remotely around the UK and Europe, but the office is always welcoming for when you’d like it. (Outside of these unusual times, of course.)
As a company, work-life balance is very important to us: we have flexible working hours and our teams have been setup to work well remotely for a number of years now – we’re quite good at it.
We offer a competitive market rate salary and all members of the team are provided with a MacBook Pro (we are happy to discuss your requirements before you join) and have an annual training & conference budget including international travel. We are users of open source software and we support this in any way we can.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer, which has given us a wide diversity of backgrounds throughout the team. This is something that Roisi (our Director of Product) and Kathy (our CEO) have always strived for and we’re certainly pleased with the progress so far.
Altmetric is a UK-based data company dedicated to producing alternative metrics for research outputs ranging from peer-reviewed journal articles to datasets and software. With a global customer base spanning academic institutions, publishers, government agencies, non-profits, research institutes, and corporations, Altmetric is the gold standard in altmetrics data.